Sunday, September 27, 2020

Theatre of Relevance for change! -Manjul Bhardwaj

 7.

Theatre of Relevance for change!


-Manjul Bhardwaj
1995 we got an invitation to perform play on child labour. We prepared play “Mera Bachpan”. The plan was to perform at various Key spots in Mumbai for a week to generate public opinion against children exploitation. The campaign started very well, first performance was in front of Times of India. It went very well next day there were headlines about the play & issue. Next spot was in front of Indian Express in Nariman point… we moved to other planned spots day by day. Performers are putting their heart & soul, audience & media gave overwhelming response. But the network of organizing network was backing out of their commitment. On first performances every member of organizing network was in full strength as we moved spot by spot organizing network started disappearing. The last spot of our performance was Andheri station. There was no member present from organizing network. Our team performed with full force & audience responded well.
In the evaluation meeting of organizing network at Girgaon Chowpatty every one applauded our efforts & performance. But I raised the point of their disappearance. The coordinator of organizing network started giving excuses that made me angry. I asked “are you only interested to grab media headlines or you have any commitment to the issue?” After a deep breathe the coordinator of organizing network replied “Manjul babu natak karna aasan hai,badlaav lana mushkil” ( it is easy to perform a play but difficult to change) . It stirred me from within. Instead of taking responsibility, they are passing the buck.
I could not sleep for a week. “Manjul babu natak karna aasan hai,badlaav lana mushkil” was resonating in me. I was getting restless day by day. I started exploring how we can bring a tangible, measurable mass level change on child labour. Started a research why child labour exists. There were & are many reasons of child labour. Analyzed these reason through financial & non-financial lens. I found non-financial reasons are the root cause of child labour. I can deal with non-financial reasons to liberate children from labour!
After this commitment I asked my team to perform a show of “Mera Bachpan”. I made it clear; I don’t have resources to pay you. Team happily obliged. We performed in Gautam Nagar a slum made of bamboos & sheets. Rage pickers, construction daily wage laborers migrants from interior of Maharashtra & south India was residing in this slum situated in between the Kandivali industrial estate.
I was performing the role of an owner of tea stall, who employees children in the play. In the scene a child labour breaks a glass while serving tea. I beat the child labour while hurling abuses. When we were performing this scene in Gautam Nagar, a half drunk audience held my hand. He gave me ten rupees and said, ‘I pay for this broken glass. You don’t beat this child’. We achieved our objective ‘the change has happened’. After this successful intervention I asked the children of the slum,’ will you perform in this play? Children replied yes! This yes from children pumped a sanjeevni in me. This yes from children enhanced & empowered my commitment to change!
It took three months to prepare “Mera Bachpan” with slum children. The performance did magic to children. Children were stunned to see the response from audience. Every performance was enhancing self-worth in these children. Children started experience the feeling of wanted loved & cared by society. And after a performance in front of tea stall & garage performance, the child performers realized that these same employers beat, abuse us when we work, but when we are performing they are clapping & appreciating us! This churning in children broke the mind set of being born to be exploited. This enlightening liberation facilitated children to start believing in themselves. They started believing that this world also belongs to them. This is their world. The chain of vicious slavery was broken. Children resolved they will go to school from now onward. I stood by their resolve. I along with my team facilitated their schooling process by connected parents, teachers & BMC school administration. It was a gigantic task but was able to break through.
The moment of change transformed into a mass movement. From 1995 to 2003 Mera Bachpan was performed more than 12000 timed all over India in more than 12 languages. After 2003 we stopped counting. This play is performed today also. Just a month ago I saw a group of children from slum in a workshop rehearsing this play. I was thrilled to see this. Out of my curiosity I asked, ’Do you know who wrote this play?’ My team member wanted to tell but I stopped them and said, “Now it is their play!” When your creation is absorbed & practiced by society than it becomes the society’s creation.
Today I thank to the coordinator of organizing network & her statement, “Manjul babu natak karna aasan hai,badlaav lana mushkil” ( it is easy to perform a play but difficult to change) . This experience enhanced my horizon. Play ‘Mera Bachpan’ has facilitated the emancipation of 50 thousand child laborers. This mass level change is a collective achievement of countless individuals, groups & organizations.
Theatre fraternity still debates about weather theatre bring change or not. It depends on their understanding, purpose & commitment. We did it. Theatre of Relevance brought this tangible, measurable change at mass level!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Manjul Bhardwaj’s new Marathi Play ‘Lok-Shastra Savitri ' the Yalgar of Samta !

  Manjul Bhardwaj’s new Marathi Play ‘Lok-Shastra Savitri ' the Yalgar of Samta ! - Kusum Tripathi When I received a call from my old fr...