Sunday, September 27, 2020

Long Live Humanity! - Manjul Bhardwaj

 2.

Long Live Humanity!

- Manjul Bhardwaj

The theatrical resolve was put to an acid test. The 6 Dec. 1992 tragedy put India & Mumbai under the cloud of communal violence. The mini India Mumbai was burning. People were killed on the streets, women were raped, and shops were put on fire after loot. Who was doing it? The known people, friends, neighbor who were living peacefully were killing each other. The blood of humanity was shed on the streets of cosmopolitan Mumbai.
I called upon my performers to perform to revive faith, harmony & brotherhood in the riot effected area. I myself visited the Radhabai chawl victims in Jogeshwari east as a fact finding member. I saw the dance of death. Felt the fear, pain, anguish & helplessness of the survivors. Saw the death approaching me. I still remember those chilling moments when after visiting the chawl, I was moving in a narrow street & mob started shouting after seeing my beard. I was moving towards mob which was gathered in front of a right wing party shakha. Good sense prevailed people behind me kept their calm. As I entered the shakha mob tried to frisk & started heckling me. I shouted & told who am I? What is my purpose of visit? Then mob clam down. Then the few persons from this very mob took me to the municipal school where the survivors of Radhabai chawl were given a temporary shelter. No food, no water, no sanitation…no one to help… they were devastated…
When I narrated my whole terrible experience to the so called progressive people in a meeting organized in a 3 star hotel in Juhu. I said what was immediately required for the survivor. A legend song writer & a progressive person said we cannot do anything; rehabilitation is the job of government. Then I asked why this fact findings? This is to put pressure on government. I was shocked. The mask of progressive & secularism was broken. The face of pseudo secularism was visible. The real face of opportunism was in front of me. I was wondering if the money spent on this meeting was given to those survivors, they would eat for a week at least. I was shock & shattered, but passionate to perform.
I asked my performers to perform in the riot effected areas. We had a long discussion about the consequences of performing in riot & curfew bound areas. There was a fear to be attacked & killed while performing. Initially my idea was rejected. It was a roller coaster; everyone shared their dreams of joining me, their purpose of doing theatre, dreams of their life. No one had this idea to be killed on a street while performing…
I said lets believe in the art & passion of our Theatre. Purpose of our performance is to revive faith, harmony & brotherhood in the riot effected area. As long as we will be there as artists, hope no one will attack us… with all pre plan, preparation & rehearsal the team resolved to perform.
We chose the spot in Bandra east. The scene begins with maro,kato, bacho,chase, save & Kill noise. Residents thought it is riot happening they came with swords but by the time they take any action every performer was freeze in the scene. I started the song AAj ke insaan ko kya ho gaya, uska purana pyaar kahan par kho gya, kaisi ye mnhus ghadi gai bhaiyon mein jung chidi hai …
Slowly swords were taken back. People started peeping though their windows, home. After few minutes some people gathered what is happening. We carried on our performance. When we finished our play “Dur se kisi ne Awaz di” 1500 people were watching it. In last scene when I gave a war cry Insan zindabad …before I finished my line ..people said zindabad… Insaniyat Zindabad . Our Play “Dur se kisi ne Awaz di” a mile stone … facilitated society to regain the sense of peace & humanity.
Before the performance while giving white kurta I said to my performers …”ye hmara kafan hai’ … I salute to my performers & bow in gratitude for their artistic commitment for humanity!
…to be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Manjul Bhardwaj’s new Marathi Play ‘Lok-Shastra Savitri ' the Yalgar of Samta !

  Manjul Bhardwaj’s new Marathi Play ‘Lok-Shastra Savitri ' the Yalgar of Samta ! - Kusum Tripathi When I received a call from my old fr...