What is Theatre of Relevance ?
Theatre of Relevance (TOR) is a philosophy initiated & practiced by well known Theatre thinker Manjul Bhardwaj since 12 August, 1992 in India and all over the world. Theatre of Relevance envisages audience as first, foremost & strongest theatre person and then writer, director, performer follows. TOR brings out theatre from the cocoons of Entertainment to a way of empowerment and sees theatre as a way of living. TOR has proved that theatre is a process of constructive change and a volcano of revolution with its experiments all over the world. TOR rubbishes capitalistic approach “art for art sake” as escapist & opportunistic and commits it`s creative excellence to make the world more “Better & Humane”.
Fundamentals of Theatre of Relevance
• A Theatre that commits its creative excellence to make the world more “Better & Humane”.
• A Theatre relevant to the context of the society and owes its responsibility, not to Art just for the Art sake.
• A Theatre caters to human needs and provides itself as a platform for expression.
• A Theatre that explores itself as a medium of constructive change and/or development.
• A Theatre that comes out from the ‘limits of entertainment’ to a way of living & empowerment.